Our first bounty of the season is herbs – Basil and Cilantro – and our first thought was Pesto. Friday night are pizza nights around here for the innkeepers, and in summer that means grilled pizza. So our plan was Pesto instead of pizza sauce, and it was a great success! It works equally well using Cilantro instead of Basil – think chorizo, chipotle pepper…
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
After I posted this I just saw an article in the StarTribune about making grilled pizza like we do on Friday nights! Tip from us: after grilling the first side of the crust, we flip it over onto a cookie sheet, bring it back into the kitchen, cover the grilled side with toppings (and we DON’T skimp), and then grill on cookie sheet or pizza stone until cheese is melted and bottom of crust is browned. The quick assembly line grill-side, and few toppings (unless you like it that way) as they suggest, is not necessary then.