Recipe #5 in our 2012 edition of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies. Chocolate and coffee, what could be better?
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso or instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Beat brown sugar and oil in medium bowl with electric mixer. Mix in sour cream, egg and vanilla. Set aside.
Mix flour, cocoa, espresso, baking soda, salt and pepper in another medium bowl.
Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture; mix well. Refrigerate dough until firm, 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour powdered sugar into shallow bowl. Set aside. Cut dough into 1-inch pieces; roll into ball. Roll balls in powdered sugar.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 10 to 12 minutes or until tops of cookies are firm to touch. Do not overbake. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.