Vis-a-vis Carriage Rides along the route of the “Walking Tour of Historic Sights” was one of the highlights during our 125th Anniversary Celebration, held October 26, 2013. Trish Denn from Denn Carriages in New Prague brought two of her exquisite Percherons to lead the 1.5 mile carriage tour.
Click here for the full walking tour map.
Take a look at the sights along the carriage ride route on this beautiful fall day in October.
Welcome to Jordan!
One highlight of our 125th Anniversary Celebration was the carriage ride through historic downtown.
Percherons from Denn Carriages in New Prague would lead our tour.
Trish Denn opens the vis-a-vis carriage door for tourists to board.
Jordan Brewery - circa 1868
The brewery got its start sometime during the mid-1800s when businessman Frank Nicolin opened a general store and brewery in Jordan. The hill behind the building is laced with storage caves utilized by the brewery for aging their product.
Kehrer Building - 1895
Joseph Kehrer, "The Pioneer Druggist" started business in 1880 in a two-story frame building in Jordan. Kehrer Hospital adjoined the building at the rear. The hospital operated until the mid-1930s.
Nicolin Opera House - 1876
Originally the Nicolin Opera House and Mammoth Store, this building was the scene for masked balls, oyster suppers, wedding receptions and early movies.
Hardware Store/Farrie - circa 1880
Originally a three story building, its top floor was later removed.
Millinery Shop - circa 1880
One of the three storefronts was once occupied by Mrs. Annie Rogge's Hat Shop and Pierre's Saloon and Prohibition era "Confectionary."
Harness Shop - circa 1870
Originally Leben Harness Shop, John Lebens manufactured and sold harnesses and leather goods here for 57 years.
Ruppert's Bar - 1875
Originally Ruppert's Bar. Many Water Street buildings one had front ironwork balconies & this adornment still remains on this historic structure.
Printing, Bank, Drug Store and Post Office
Freestanding building was home to Casper Roderig's Volksfreund German language newspaper, started in 1892.
The three adjoined buildings were built circa 1870, and was home to Scott County Bank, Juergen's Drug Store, and the Jordan Post Office.
Feed Mill - circa 1914
The Feed Mill was constructed on this site because of it's proximity to Sand Creek. Water was necessary to operate grind stones of the mill.
Rice Street bridge leads to the baseball park known as the Mini-Met. The site has long been a popular meeting place for baseball, bandstand concerts and dance pavilion. It served as grounds for the Scott County Fair from 1915 to 1972.
Original Fairgrounds Bridge
The 1936 Fairgrounds Bridge was built from salvaged steel, including this lattice, from the demolition of an 1899 bridge on University Avenue in St. Paul. After 78 years of service, the Rice Street bridge was replaced in 2012.
Pekarna Meat Market - circa 1896
Frank Pekarna bought the business from his former employer in 1896 and it has been a family tradition for over a century.
Creative Art Center - circa 1950
Family home of John Pilney, a Bohemian immigrant, this building also served as a tailor shop, saloon, and boarding house.
Varner Street Bridge over Sand Creek
This recently designated new park entrance honors military veterans.
Bench dedicated to home-town hero Spc. Joshua R. Anderson, killed in action in Iraq, January 2008.
Warming house for ice staking rink on Mill Pond in the winter.
Fishing Pier on Mill Pond
It has been said that the 16-acre Mill Pond was created after Frank Nicolin quarried the stone used to build Jordan brick.
Sand Creek Waterfall
Though only a fraction of the usual volume, this waterfall spans the full length of the ledge in spring and early summer.
Log Cabin - circa 1855
The Ambrose Freedman Log Cabin is a memorial to Scott County's pioneer settlers. Moved to its present location on land donated by Clement Nachbar in memory of his pioneering parents. Restored in 1931, dedicated in 1937.
Staircase on Engler Building
Cigar Factory - circa 1892
Herman and margarit Herder ran a cigar factory here until it became Rudd's Pharmacy and then a hair salon.
Jordan City Hall
The 1885 brick City Hall can be seen around the corner from this present day City Hall.
Welcome to Jordan
The wooden sign was removed from the building, only to reveal this earlier painted greeting.
Broadway Street Looking South
Nicolin Mansion - 1888
Built in 1888, today we celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Nicolin family moving into their newly completed mansion.
Nicolin Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Today the 125 year old mansion serves as a bed and breakfast.
221 Alley Entrance
We have returned to the mansion after our tour.
Thanks to our Horse Guides
Fall colors enhanced the historic tour.